Re: web hosting setup/admin

Kevin Coyner writes:
Ultimately I think I'd like to create a small web hosting service,
complete with a control panel for each site.  Can anyone suggest a good
mix of programs for this (whether debs or not)?
Obviously this is a bit of trying to provide a service for known
friends/associates and also 'learn as you go' web hosting admin.
Fortunately none of the sites are mission critical types.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but... qmail!
Properly set up, qmail just rocks.  By itself it's not all that
great, but when you add in all the other software, you get a
helluva combination.  I've got qmail + Courier-IMAP + vpopmail +
qmailadmin + vqadmin + ezmlm-idx + { a bunch of other stuff } +
SqWebMail, and it just rocks.  I'm running all this on a P200
w/ 32 MB of RAM, and it performs way better than Exim + UW-IMAPD +
SquirrelMail did on a 1.2 GHz box w/ 256 MB of RAM. j.
--
Jeremy L. Gaddis <jeremy@gaddis.org> <http://www.gaddis.org>