Re: newbie's question: how to undo dselect

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:54:15AM -0700, Robert Fu wrote:
> Thanks you all for your help!
>
> One of my friends helped me with a workaround, which
> is to use apt-get to install the packages I want. I'll
> wait for Colin's patch for dselect, and clean up the
> mess later. It seems I should mostly use apt-get from
> now on.

Sorry I'm coming into this late.

I would run dselect, then cursor to the head line for the installed
package group, hit "+" to select that whole tree, and hit shift-Q to
ignore any extra changes it prescribes from that.

Then, I would cursor to the head of the uninstalled packages, hit "_"
and again shift-Q.

Those two steps should revert everything to wanting to be in
the system's currently installed state.

If there's a section at the very top with updated packages, you'll
probably want to "+" that group as well, and if there's a newly
available section, you may want to "-" that group and hand-pick
anything you really want to add.

If you leave dselect and go back in, you should be fine, assuming
you're not looking at a legitimate large update from a KDE version
bump or similar.

For better management in the future, once you get the system the way
you want it, I'd install "debfoster." debfoster which does a wonderful
job of helping you keep your intended packages straight. If you get a
chain of things you don't really want installed from suggestions, you
can find and prune those.