Re: [OT] ergonomic setups

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 11:27, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> hey debian folk,
>
> i'd like your opinions/feedback about what kind of ergonomic setups
> you use at home and in the office.  as i mentioned a couple of days
> ago, i've been issued a laptop at work, and i can barely use it for
> the wrist strain.  i can have a desktop if i want, and i think i'm
> going to ask for one ... they're less convenient and less mobile, but
> i'd like to keep my wrists.
>
> do you all use some combination of careful keyboard height/placement,
> a good chair, and a good keyboard?  is there some other component that
> you take into account?  i'm interested in whatever you do to make your
> work area more ergonomically sound.

1. I always make sure I have a comfortable keyboard. MS Natural or
equivalent. Without one, my hands tend to hurt within a few minutes.

2. Drink plenty of water. When I'm at work I go through nearly a gallon
of water. No coffee, no soft drinks, just plenty of water. With that
much water, I'm getting up for either more water or a bathroom break
every 45 mins or so. I've found that I listen to my bladder much more
than I listen to drwright. :)

3. I always sit in whatever position I feel is comfortable, and never
stay in one too long. If I'm reading, I'm usually slouched pretty far
back in my chair, or I might be leaning forward and resting my elbows on
the desk. But I don't stay in any one position too long. Sure, I might
not look as prim and proper as some secretary sitting in a perfect
position with his/her back perfectly straight, but at least I'm
comfortable and I haven't developed any work-related health problems.

Other than that, I don't really bother with chair adjustments, monitor
adjustments, fancy chairs, etc. After all, your employer is much more
likely to get you a comfortable keyboard than a new, ergonomically
designed office setup including chair, monitor platform, anti-glare
screen, ergonomic keyboard, ergonomic mouse, gel wrist supports, and all
those other ergo-fads that do nothing but waste your money. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837