Re: Server - no video card

Quoting Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net>:

> I want to save money as I expand my collection of Debian servers by running
>
> without a video card.  On the rare occasion that I need console access to a
>
> machine I would pull it off the shelf and insert an AGP video card.
>
> I just tried it on one of my servers and the only thing I observed was a beep
>
> during the boot-up sequence.
>
> Several questions come to mind:
>
> Is this an acceptable mode of operation?  Are others running in this mode?
>
> Should most motherboards being recently produced be expected to run without a
>
> video card? (Maybe it's a BIOS thing?)

I believe most motherboards won't boot without a video card.
You should be fine without keyboard and monitor plugged in, but
in most cases the Bios Check will fail if no video controller is detected.
If you don't have onboard video, then you could go out to a computer store
and see if they could sell you an old cheapo one.

Cheers,
Mike