Server - no video card

I want to save money as I expand my collection of Debian servers by running
without a video card.  On the rare occasion that I need console access to a
machine I would pull it off the shelf and insert an AGP video card.

I just tried it on one of my servers and the only thing I observed was a beep
during the boot-up sequence.

Several questions come to mind:

Is this an acceptable mode of operation?  Are others running in this mode?

Should most motherboards being recently produced be expected to run without a
video card? (Maybe it's a BIOS thing?)

Thanks,
--
Mike M.