Re: Suppress "You have new email."

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 08:31, Toni Agudo wrote:
> How do I suppress these ubiquitous messages that pop up on my
> shell,saying "You have new email." everytime exim receives a new email?
> I will check my emails later anyway, so all this message does is unnerve
> me. I am subscribed to a good dozen lists, so I get this message every
> two seconds. Please, don't tell me I have to recompile half of my system
> for that ;-)
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Yours Truly,
> Toni

from 'man bash'

Shell Variables
    The following variables are set by the shell:
[snip]
    MAIL   If this parameter is set to a file name and the MAILPATH
           variable is not set, bash informs  the  user  of  the
           arrival of mail in the specified file.
    MAILCHECK
           Specifies  how  often (in seconds) bash checks for mail.
           The default is 60 seconds.  When it is time to check
           for mail, the shell does so before displaying the primary
           prompt.  If this variable is  unset,  or  set  to  a value
           value that is not a number greater than or equal to zero, the
           shell disables mail checking.

I imagine other shells have similar variables, but that's what you're
looking for.

Shaun