Re: Debian x Redhat

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 05:20, Bruno Diniz de Paula wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> first of all, I'm not definetely willing to start a war here (although I
> think I have already). :-) I'm a very satisfied and enthusiastic Debian
> user, but I would like to hear from you guys the essential pros and cons
> of each of the distributions. I'm asking because for me the best thing
> about Debian (besides others) is the package manager system. Now I've
> heard RedHat 9 has something that resembles apt, which would put down
> this advantage of Debian. So, what do you think?

Well I just spent last weekend stuffing about at my son's place with Debian,
Mandrake, and Win XP.

We never got very far because we are trying to configure a home network and
neither of us knows what we are doing.

But during the course of it all it became very clear to me. With Debian if /
when you get anything working it is because you found out what you had to do
and did it. Sometimes that might be a little difficult but you have this list
for support along with any number of LUGs to help you through.

With Mandrake most things work fairly easily but at the end of it you have no
real idea why. Mandrake is based on Redhat so I expect that it will be very
much the same. And of course with Windows you never have any idea at all
about what is going on during install or afterward for that matter.

So my conclusion at least is that I will stick to Debian for the
gateway/firewall part of this network at least. If it takes a bit longer to
get going the price is well worth it.

Once installed and configured they are all Linux but I believe there is less
breakage with updating the system with Debian than there is with the others.
Of course that can change over time.

You do have to shell out $ for support on RH or Mdk and a couple of years ago
the Mdk support was fairly useless. Don't know about the current situation.

My 2 bits
Bob Parker