Re: Newbie-Help in configuring IceWm

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 15:24, SRIKANTH NS wrote:
> Problem 1.
> Since this is a low end m/c , I wanted to use only IceWm.
> But during installation I gave gdm as the display manager. Now login
> screen shows only GNome,KDE and failsafe only as the sessions.
>
> Next I made a .xinitrc file in my home directory with a line "exec
> /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm"
> Thinking that next time I will get IceWm on the menu, I logged out,
> logged in to find IceWM not there.
> Will changing the Display manager to kdm or xdm will do it? How to
> change the display manager ?
You can keep gdm. Just put this snippet in a file called
/etc/gdm/sessions/IceWM

####### cut below here
#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/gdm/Sessions/IceWM
#
# global IceWM session file, used by gdm

exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/icewm
####### cut above here

> Problem2.
> I find screen resolution only 640 x 480. The card (ATI Mach64) is
> capable of 1024 x 768.  In Redhat , I used to login as root and type
> setup in which xsetup can be changed. Is there any other easy tool
> like that ? Or do I have to go to the complicated process of editing
> "XFree 86 " file ?

Not complicated. Just change the lines reading
                Modes "640x480"
                Modes "1024x768" "640x480"

Or, the "debian way" would be
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86