Re: Thinkpad and Serial Port

Hi Kris,

"Kris" <krisp1@mlode.com> writes:

> Below is from the readme but I am still very new to linux. I have successfully recompiled my kernel but below eludes me
> what does it mean when it says use make-kpkg to make a module.  Please advise

You need to install kernel-package, it contains make-kpkg .

I then use

make-kpkg clean && fakeroot make-kpkg --us --uc --config menuconfig --revision=freitag.1 --append-to-version -2 --rootcmd fakeroot kernel_image modules_image

freitag is the name of my machine, and the --append-to-version -2
is counted up so that modules from different compiles end up in
different directories.  The clean is just in case, your mileage may vary.

This creates binary packages for the kernel and every modules package,
which I then install, reboot, and presto.

Be careful to point to a specific known-to-work kernel
as the old one to boot in lilo.conf .  The kernel packacke install
always moves the /vmlinuz link to /vmlinuz.old,
so if you use that one and have two non-working kernel in a row
it's time to look for a bootable CD.

Have fun

Jürgen

--