Re: mutt "can't lock"

Thus spake Emma Jane Hogbin:
> I've got most of my important things configured now.
> But I'm having a weird problem with mutt. When I try to save an email
> to an existing directory it says:
> 	Couldn't lock /home/emmajane/Mail/IN-mbox?
> If I open up mutt as root and read through my mail I can save to folders.
>
> Any ideas what I need to tweak to get this to work? I've tried any number
> of permissions on my mail directory, but it doesn't seem to work (the mail
> is recovered from a CD so maybe there was a lock file somewhere before
> my computer died?).

One thing to look for would be dotfiles in that directory...
ls -la /path/to/dir
If there's anything in there starting with a ., that would be
suspicious.  Another thing to think about is that if you just copied the
files from a CD, the permissions on the files are likely set to be
read-only (i.e. chmod 444'd).  Check the permissions on the directories
and the files themselves to make sure that they have write permissions
for your user.  Those are the only things that come to mind for me right
now...

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

"This man's wearing a push-up bra. Now *he's* pleasing!" -Crow (as
Prof. E.C. Buehler). #313