mutt "can't lock"

I've got most of my important things configured now.
But I'm having a weird problem with mutt. When I try to save an email
to an existing directory it says:
	Couldn't lock /home/emmajane/Mail/IN-mbox?
If I open up mutt as root and read through my mail I can save to folders.

Any ideas what I need to tweak to get this to work? I've tried any number
of permissions on my mail directory, but it doesn't seem to work (the mail
is recovered from a CD so maybe there was a lock file somewhere before
my computer died?).

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin