Re: help: APT - locked

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:40:50PM -0300, Guilherme Viebig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was remote updating my system with ssh when the connection was lost, all
> packages were downloaded.
>
> Now, when i try to redo apt-get upgrade, i get this message
>
> 40 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 74 not upgraded.
> E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the download directory

Looks like another process still has the lock. If only the connection
was severed, it is possible that the process is still running (but then,
wouldn't the update be finished by now? but I do not know when 'now'
is...).

The other possibility is that the process died, but could not remove the
lock file in time. If that is the case (check with ps first) you can
safely remove the lock file and try again.

HTH, David