USB Epson scanner problem

Greetings-

I've been trying to move my scanner (an Epson 1640SU) from SCSI to USB in
preparation for a new machine which will not have a SCSI card.  I've got
USB working (it mounts a USB memory stick fine) and the scanner module
installed, as well as hotplug. Hotplug notices the scanner and assigns it
to the usbscanner driver. sane-find-scanner finds the scanner. But xsane
and scanimage don't. Any advice?

Debian 3.0 (woody)
Kernel 2.4.20

aperrin@perrin:~$ sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

# You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
# Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
# permissions as necessary.

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x010a)
at device /dev/usbscanner
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x010a)
at device /dev/usbscanner0

aperrin@perrin:~$ scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found
aperrin@perrin:~$ scanimage --list-devices