Re: DriveStatusError

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 03:37, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 11:58:09PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> > hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> Drive is dead.  Expect serious problems to develop quickly from this
> point, don't expect good things after a reboot or power down.  Time to
> get a new drive.

That's exactly the point. Error 0x04 does NOT necessarily mean this. If
there's BadCRC or anything other than DriveStatusError alone, things are
different, but DriveStatusError alone seems to be more or less harmless. The
thing that irritated me was that nobody seemed to know what those messages
were about, and the link I posted was the _only_ halfway authoritative thing
I found about it in two hours worth of googling.

After I activated SMART, the drive went through 'mke2fs -c -c' without a
hitch, BTW.

> > Got Backup?
>
> Do you?  That's also a good idea right now.

Believe me, I do. After a 9GB SCSI drive blew up without any warning, I
installed an 80GB mirrored RAID on a machine and rsync regularly.

--
Got Backup?