Re: apt-get can't find nvidia contributed driver package

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 06:50:50 -0400
Jack Dodds <brmdamon@aci.on.ca> wrote:

> So, I need to install the Nvidia contributed packages nvidia-glx-src and
> nvidia-kernel-src. These are listed in the packages lists on the website
> as being in the X11 section of Woody.
>
> The package names do not appear in the names listed in dselect. (I did
> update the package lists using dselect.)
>
> apt-get install nvidia-glx-src gives me an error indicating that the
> package can't be found.

The GeForce2 and GeForce2 Go are supported by the "nv" driver in the testing
and sid versions of XFree86. It doesn't support hardware acceleration,
though.

The nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src packages are in the "contrib" part
of the archive. That means they depend on non-free software. In
/etc/apt/sources.list ensure "contrib" is one of the sections listed:

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

Then do "apt-get update" and you should be able to install the nvidia
packages.

Kevin