Re: DVD ripping in 100 words or less

Hi,

Bill Moseley wrote:

> I used acidrip and was able to generate a avi image in about 15 or so
> minutes that plays just fine.  I used the default "copy" settings for
> codec and audio.

How big is this file?  I guess several Gigabytes for a movie.

> Oh, now dvd::rip just went on to "pass 2" with elapsed at 07:27:34, ETA
> 1882:23:44.  I think 1,882 1/2 hours is too long to wait at 99% CPU
> usage.

7 hours was usual on my 700 MHz Duron for each pass for an average
movie.  Transcoding movies takes some time.

BTW, you can have transcode run under a low nice value, this way you can
still use your system while it is transcoding the movie.  You just can't
reboot it.

Ciao,
Viktor
--