Re: boot-floppies package

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:06:08AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> If you do have a running system, then simply have root visit grub's
> working directory and copy the two stage files over to an unmounted
> floppy:
>
>      # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>      # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>
> Then mount the floppy and copy splash.xpm.gz to it, create a file
> named grub.conf and a symlink to it from menu.lst. And then set up the
> grub.conf file as per the manual.

I seriously doubt this is sane:)
According to the grub.info (node: Images):

     While Stage 2 cannot generally be embedded in a fixed area as the
     size is so large, Stage 1.5 can be installed into the area right
     after a MBR, or the boot loader area of a ReiserFS or a FFS.

In other words, putting stage2 directly after the bootrecord destroys
any filesytem on the disk, better use stage1.5 or do a true install on
the floppy as I posted recently or as described in the FAQ (node FAQ).

--
groetjes, carel