Re: Balky Netgear FA311 ethernet card

Rick <rickpd@attglobal.net> writes:

> I have a very small home network consisting of two computers connected
> by ethernet via a hub.  One computer is currently Windows only, and
> the other is a Debian/Windows dual boot.  The dual boot machine is an
> elderly Pentium Pro system with the Netgear FA311 card.  This goes on
> a PCI bus.  I regularly use the network with Windows on both sides, so
> I know that the hardware is functional.  The Debian system is woody
> with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.

Hello,

I am currently running a 2.2 kernel with the same card.  It is my
second card, and I have this in my /etc/network/interfaces file:

# The second network card
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth1
 iface eth1 inet static
        pre-up modprobe natsemi
        address 192.168.110.125
        netmask 255.255.255.0

When I do lsmod, I see pci-scan is used by natsemi, so I think
the above modprobe loads both modules.

Looking at the natsemi.c source, there is a debug variable that you
can set when the module is loaded.  It says that 1 is normal messages
and 7 is verbose.  If it still isn't working, perhaps doing that can
help you figure out what is going wrong?

I hope this helps.

Brian