Re: Balky Netgear FA311 ethernet card

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 21:31, Rick wrote:
> I have a very small home network consisting of two computers connected
> by ethernet via a hub.  One computer is currently Windows only, and the
> other is a Debian/Windows dual boot.  The dual boot machine is an
> elderly Pentium Pro system with the Netgear FA311 card.  This goes on a
> PCI bus.  I regularly use the network with Windows on both sides, so I
> know that the hardware is functional.  The Debian system is woody with
> the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.
[snip]
> During the Debian boot, the light turns off by the time the boot
> sequence is doing some timeouts on my SCSI interface.  There is no
> mention of the card during this early part of the boot sequence, but it
> does come up in the kernel messages (with no obvious problems) when the
> natsemi ethernet driver runs as a module.  The scyld site mentions
> the pci-scan module does (it is not in the debian woody distribution,
> although natsemi is), but I have tried it and it does not cause the
> ethernet hub light for the ethernet card to turn on.

Have you grepped dmesg for eth0 or "[Nn]atsemi"?  What about
/var/log/*log?  (Maybe that's what you mean by "does come up in
the kernel messages", but the specifics would be useful.)

And what's the output of lspci and "modprobe -v natsemi"?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |