Re: Trouble with Mozilla Java plugin

Thus spake Roberto Sanchez:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't seem to get Mozilla (unstable) to recognize the Java plugin.  I
> and installed by had the J2RE, first from Sun then from Blackdown.  When
> neither of this worked, I added a Blackdown mirror to my sources.list.
>
> deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
> unstable main non-free
>
> Still, nothing.  All of my other plugins work OK, but not Java.
>
> I search the list archives and read the thread about a similar problem from 6
> weeks ago, but it was not helpful.  It seems that this problem has been around
> for a bit.  Has there been any resolution?

That is almost undoubtedly due to that version of Java being compiled
with gcc 2.95, and mozilla being compiled with gcc 3.x.  The dates on
the files from that mirror are quite old... Try using:
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01/j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin
That is a version compiled with gcc 3.2, and it works for me (whereas
the version from that apt archive doesn't).

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

All modern men are descended from a worm-like creature, but it shows
more on some people. - Will Cuppy