Re: DVDs reproduction a little "slow"

-- Sara <saracasan@yahoo.es> wrote
(on Saturday, 31 May 2003, 06:26 PM +0200):
> I wondered if anyone knew anything I could do to improve the reproduction of
> DVDs. Trying different players (Ogle, Xine, Vlc), and running them even as
> root, I always have the same problem: the images "freeze" a little. I can
> watch the DVD, but it's a little annoying.
>
> I have plenty of memory and a fast processor, so I don't think that's the
> problem :). Anyway, I've noticed that the process associated to the DVD
> player  does use a low porcentage of the total system  memory. I've tried to
> run the players as root and happens the same.

Are you reproducing a DVD, or are you trying to _watch_ a DVD? your
description sounds like the latter (reproducing a DVD implies copying).

Check out hdparm and using it to turn on DMA on your DVD drive. Your
computer is new enough that it's almost certainly capable of DMA, and a
simple instruction like 'hdparm -d /dev/dvdrom' (or whatever your device
is mapped as) in your boot scripts will make a world of difference.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net