Re: DVDs reproduction a little "slow"

Thus spake Sara (saracasan@yahoo.es):

> Hi again!
>
> I wondered if anyone knew anything I could do to improve the reproduction of
> DVDs. Trying different players (Ogle, Xine, Vlc), and running them even as
> root, I always have the same problem: the images "freeze" a little. I can
> watch the DVD, but it's a little annoying.
>
> I have plenty of memory and a fast processor, so I don't think that's the
> problem :). Anyway, I've noticed that the process associated to the DVD
> player  does use a low porcentage of the total system  memory. I've tried to
> run the players as root and happens the same.
>
> Any ideas? :)

Check that DMA is turned on on the DVD-ROM

      hdparm -d /dev/hdc

you'll need to do this as root and you'll need the hdparm package. If
it's not on, try turning it on:

      hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

it will make all the difference.

If it's already on, I can't help you...but I'm betting it's not.
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |