Re: [DEB-USER] Re: fetchmail incorrect headers retention

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 05:55:57PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On Saturday 31 May 2003 3:56 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with testing's version of fetchmail (6.2.1). It is
> > leaving mail on my pop server, with the error message (in part):
> > "incorrect header line found while scanning headers". Every time it hits
> > a piece of mail and issues this error message, it does not retrieve it
> > from the pop server. And no matter what parameters I give fetchmail, it
> > will not retrieve it.
> >

> Is this fetchmail doing this or whatever fetchmail is handing the mail on to
> which is rejecting it.  I think fetchmail will not delete any mail that it
> cannot hand on.  There is one exception to this (I think - not tried it) but
> if the MTA it is handing mail on to says it thinks its spam, then fetchmail
> can delete it.
>
> I have found occassionally a single mail gets left stuck at my ISP.  I have
> since changed my fetchmailrc file to use the fetchall option Thus:-
>
> poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk no dns proto POP3 tracepolls interval 4
>         aka blueyonder.co.uk
>         localdomains chandlerfamily.org.uk libdebate.org
>  user "x" password "x" forcecr is * fetchall

Nope. It's fetchmail itself. It's called out in the source code. I took
a look at the archives, and this problem has come up before recently.
It stems from mail with malformed headers. But the default behavior is
to retain the mail on the pop server. I'd like to see a patch that
simply deletes that mail.

Paul