restricting what gets logged to syslog

Hi All,

I hope that someone can help me with this annoying problem that I am
having.

I use courier for pop3/imap and it likes to log each and every login and
logout which is fine by me but all of it goes into syslog as well as
mail.info and fills up my logcheck email with a lot of noise.

I would like this stuff to go just into my mail.info and just mail.warn
and above going into syslog.

My current /etc/syslog.conf is the bog standard one and I did try
modifying the /var/log/syslog line which originally was

*.*;auth,authpriv.none               -/var/log/syslog

to both

*.*;auth,authpriv.none,!mail.info               -/var/log/syslog

and to

*.*,!mail.info;auth,authpriv.none               -/var/log/syslog

and the first one did nothing and the second one stopped all logging. I
tried looking though the man pages and googling but am at a bit of a
loss as to what to try next.

Any help appreciated.

Shri

Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com