woody 2.4 kernel netinstall and NIC autodetect?

Previously, when I've done potato netinstalls, I've been using the
compact floppy set.  This kernel has always autodetected NICs.

Last week I tried using a CD with the 2.4bf netinstall, to install on
an Compaq^H^H^H^H^H^HHP with two builtin Broadcom 5700 NICs, and one
extra e100-based NIC.

The Broadcom NICs aren't supported by the 2.4.18 kernel of the 2.4bf
netinstall (they're supported by the tg3 driver which is present in
2.4.20), and weren't detected.

However, the e100 NIC wasn't detected either.  Was it supposed to have
been?  Would it have, if the NIC had been connected?  (it wasn't)>

Since I had no documentation on this NIC, I was left with having to
manually try all NIC drivers until one was successfully loaded.  And a
RedHat enthusiast at work said: "doesn't debian autodetect hardware at
install time?  RedHat does...".  Hmph...

- Steinar