X11 headers/libs

I'm trying to compile xscreensaver on stable.  ./configure can't find
"X11 headers/libs"  I've searched around but can't find the package the
headers reside in. The current version doesn't display horizontal lines
in text.  Tried compiling source from testing but too many unmet dependencies.
Anyone know where I can get a hold of these headers?
Thanks,
kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso