Re: Installing xserver

> Haines Brown wrote:
> > I installed a woody base system and then install the xserver-svga
> > required by my nVidia GeForce3 card and a window manager. Then
> > from a root command line I ran startx. However, all I got as a
> > result was a black screen with speckles (not x's grey screen),
> > with a set of blinking underlines.

> Ok, first of all you don't come into a debian mailing list and start
> flaming Debian for not being like RedHat.

Wow! Not my intention at all. I was merely suggesting that I was
familiar with the XF86Config file in RedHat and needed to know to what
extent that enabled me to spot strange things going on in my debian's
XF86Config file. I'm sorry to have been misunderstood.

> You might want to try using the xserver called "xserver-xfree86"
> instead . AFAIK, the xserver-svga stuff uses XFree version 3.x,
> which I think will not have support for you GeForce.You will
> probably have better luck with the driver in XFree 4.x which is used
> by xserver-xfree86.

Aha! I had difficulty deciding among a list of x servers in what must
have been an obsolete list. Didn't realize they were not XFree 4.x.

> Once you get done with that, try using the utility called
> 'dexconf'. In my brief experience with it, what it does is use the
> vesa driver and somehow manages to get a basic X display up (no
> acceleration and that stuff). Then you can try experimenting and
> making new configurations with either "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86" or "xf86config" or "xf86cfg".

Thanks, I'll do that after I uninstalled the x server I've got,
removed XF86Config and installed the proper x server.

> Nvidia has their own proprietary drivers if you want to get decent
> 3D performance. That is probably best left for another posting after
> you get X working :)

I'm aware of the difference between the limited nv driver and the
nVidia driver and have some experience installing the latter, so not
too intimidated by it.

Thanks for your patience.

Haines