memtest86 + lilo problem

I apt=get isntalled teh memtest86 package on one of my "testing" boxes
yesterday.

When I added the lines from /usr/share/doc/memtets86/examples to lilo, I
get an error about the current kernel not supporting initial ram disks when
I run lilo to make the changes efective.

What do I need to do to correct this problme? If it matters, I am runing a
custom compiled 2.4.17 kernel on the machine in question.

Thanks

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin