Re: integrating samba with existing windows environment

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:58:40PM -0700, ike lozada wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We would like to setup a samba server and integrate it with an existing windows network. We have been able to install and configure our samba server and our windows clients can browse the shared directory and their private directory but we would like to remove the ?annoying?  (connect as?.  Password?. Dialog box) that pops up when our windows clients login to samba server. Are there any parameters that we need to add to our smb.conf file or do we need to do something else?

Please set your linewrap to 72 characters (or something like that).

Don't know if anyone has replied already off-list...

Apparently, your security setting in smb.conf is set to user
(security=user) which is a good thing. However, your windows clients
probably don't log in at start up. This is why windows (_not_ samba)
will ask for a username/password pair.

I believe you can fix this in two ways.
1) Make sure that windows presents a login screen at startup. (Something
like Configuration->Network and there you can specify the type of login,
choose client to microsoft network). Then, have your people login with a
valid username/password pair. Windows will connect to samba using this
pair and will not ask again using a dialog box, unless the
username/password pair is rejected.

2) Set security to share (security = share) and specify no passwords in
smb.conf. This way, everyone and everything can connect to all shares.
As you said that clients can connect to _their_ private directories,
I'll assume you have more than one user and you definately do not want
to use this. I am merely trying to be complete. Simply ignore this
option.

HTH,

David