Re: Multiple kernel-header packages?

"Jan C. Nordholz" <jckn@gmx.net> writes:

> I've compiled the kernel myself, using kernel-source-2.4.20, and
> compiled the additional modules I needed (nvidia etc.) using
> kernel-headers-2.4.20.

Oh.  In that case, you should ignore the kernel-headers package; it's
just a subset of what's already in the kernel source.  Use your kernel
source tree instead.  If nothing else, include/linux/autoconf.h is
very specific to the built kernel, and that will be "right" in your
source tree and "wrong" in all of the provided kernel-headers packages.

If you built your kernel using kernel-package, building new modules
probably involves removing an old /usr/src/modules/mymodule, unpacking
/usr/src/mymodule.tar.gz, and then running 'make-kpkg modules-image
--added-modules=mymodule' from the top of your kernel source tree.

(And if you *really* want a kernel-headers package, 'make-kpkg
kernel_headers' will build one from your existing source.)

	-- Abra Mitchell