GNOME applets not appearing in menu

Hello. I'm having a problem with installing new GNOME (GNOME 2) applets in
unstable, in that they don't seem to want to appear in the applet menu
(right click -> Add to Panel). For instance, I've installed multiticker, a
news ticker applet but can't for the life of me figure out how to start
it, which is kind of embarrassing. If I try to run multiticker_applet
from a shell it just tells me "The GNOME panel is not running." What am I
doing wrong? The applets from the gnome-applets package work fine.

I'm just now looking at the dependencies of multiticker, and it seems like
the package is made for GNOME 1.4. Does that mean the applet won't work
with GNOME 2? If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good GNOME 2
ticker applet?

Many thanks in advance,

Johan