Re: Multiple kernel-header packages?

"Jan C. Nordholz" <jckn@gmx.net> writes:

> can someone point me to a source of information where it is
> explained why there is only one kernel-source package (2.4.20) and
> ATM two kernel-headers package sets (2.4.20-1, 2.4.20-3)? Trying to
> manually compile a module for my 2.4.20 kernel with the -1 headers
> succeeds, but (of course) results in a kernel version mismatch while
> insmodding.

Are you running a stock kernel, on unstable?  You should probably
upgrade to the appropriate 2.4.20-3 kernel image and rebuild your
modules against its header package, then; IIRC, it fixes a couple of
local root exploits but breaks binary compatibility with extant
modules.

> How do I compile new modules, now that the kernel-headers-2.4.20
> package has vanished (and been replaced by -1 and -3)?

Alternatively, you likely still have the old kernel-headers-2.4.20
package around; just use that.

	-- Abra Mitchell