Re: Where is gtk-config ?

Joerg Johannes(liste_joerg@gmx.de) is reported to have said:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 19:02, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Hamid(mylists@spils.com) is reported to have said:
> > > Hi
> > > I am trying to compile mplayer but it complains about GTK.
> > > I have installed the latest gtk package from "unstable".
> > > It seems that configure script of mplayer is looking for "gtk-config".
> > > Should I compile GTK source too to get gtk-config or I can get it from
> > > one of debian packages ?
> >
> > dpkg -S /usr/bin/gtk-config
> > libgtk1.2-dev
>
> This answers the question, but it is not the right way(tm) to the solution.
> dpkg -S will only show what package a file belongs to if that package is
> already installed. A better answer would be:
> A short search on
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
> would have turned out: He needs libgtk1.2-dev.
> It is always a better idea to show people the door, and let them go through by
> themselves (Yes, I know I sound like my mother).

I usually try to teach people how to fish, rather then just feed them.
This time I just didn't have the time so gave him the fish.  Reading the
answers to most of the recent posts must be rubbing off on me.  Thanks
for the reminder.

Wayne
--
There are never enough hours in a day, but always too many days
before Saturday.