Re: M$ licenses Unix

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:19:25AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:36:53AM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 May 2003 09:29, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:
> > > You have to own the copyright...
> >
> > Thought this one was gone?  I would think that this post will hurt his/her
> > legal position by showing intent to continue participation after requesting
> > to be removed from the list.
>
> You don't have to be subscribed to the list to post.  So while he may no
> longer be subscribed, he is still free to post to the list.
> Unfortunately.

Someone posted a thread about the Exim list having to remove postings
from someone by court order (sorry, didn't save the link nor did I read
all of the thread on Exim).  Amazing how someone could be so dumb to not
expect the mail they send to a public list to be, well, public.  More
amazing is how stupid lawmakers can be to pass laws to support such
stupidity.  Oh well.

Anyway, the risk of legal action would seem like an impelling reason to
have subscription-only lists.  That, and to keep spammers from using
lists as a type of open relay.

I'm sorry, I understand someone that might need the help of debian-user
but not want to deal with the bulk of the email, but I just don't see it
as that much trouble to subscribe, post the question and then
unsubscribe.

That said, debian-user, for it's volume, is one of the most civil,
tolerant and just plain helpful lists
around.

--
Bill Moseley