Re: Interface lo Not Coming Up

Thomas Krennwallner, 2003-May-27 16:43 +0200:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue May 27, 2003 at 07:23:41AM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> > When I boot my PC, the local loopback interface, "lo", does not come
> > up.  Running 'ifconfig -a' is see it there, but it has not IP
> > configuration.
>
> What's the output of:
> # ifdown lo
> # ifup lo

$ sudo ifdown lo
/etc/network/interfaces:9: too few parameters for iface line
ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
$ sudo emacs /etc/network/interfaces &
[2] 4547

Hmmm, I compared the interfaces file to another system that works fine
and made a few changes.  After a few tries, both ifup and ifdown work
now.  I orginally had 'auto lo eth0 eth1', but changed that to have
two different 'auto' lines, one for lo and one for eth0 and eth1.
That didn't fix it though.  On my eth0 iface line I had 'iface eth0
inet'.  This is what was causing the problem.  I added 'dhcp' to the
end of the line and that fixed it.  My final version is

<bof>
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0 eth1

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet dhcp
<eof>

> Does
> # /etc/init.d/networking restart
> work properly?

This ran fine.  However, eth0 is not plugged in and I have to wait for
the DHCP process to timeout.  That's why I had initially removed the
'dhcp' part from the /etc/network/intefaces file, to speed things up.
And, once eth0 times out, it gets configured anyway with a recorded
lease, which is not what I want.  I want the interface to remain down, so
as not to confuse the system.

Is there a good way to do accomplish this?  That is, if no dhcp
response is recieved to have the interface remain down?

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer