Re: fried(?) computer hangs on boot

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:01:19AM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:37, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > On 26 May 2003 17:28:51 -0400
> > "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I run lm-sensors on hosehead here, and while the heatsink is smaller
> > > than I've found on most other systems, this box has been keeping the 800
> > > MHz P3 at 112C. I don't feel that is bad, as the screenshot I got of the
> > > gkrellm sensor monitor indicated that the machine it was snapped from
> > > ran with a CPU at over 200C. BTW, those are Celsius temperatures, not
> > > hex values ;)
> >
> > I don't know much about optimum temperatures, but that's well above the
> > boiling point of water. Most other people who post temperatures are running
> > at about 80C.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> Okay, this got me wondering, because when lm-sensors first reported
> 112C, it also indicated anticipated temperature ceilings of 52C, which I
> thought sounded a bit low. I just spent half an hour digging around on
> the Intel website, though, and found that the "thermal spec" of P IIIs
> appears to generally be around 80C, and for P4s, around 72C. The
> temperature has stayed steady, and the other reported temperatures have
> stayed consistent, so I concluded that it must be reasonable, even if
> the chip is not overclocked. My thought is that if the temperature was a
> problem, it would trend up, both on the CPU and the other box sensors,
> which doesn't happen, so I have believed (self-deluded) that it was a
> reasonable temperature.

There's got to be a bug or malfunction of some sort somewhere - 200
deg C is instant death for a silicon device, 150 deg C is about the
absolute max for any silicon device.

> That said, there could be a difference between where the temperature is
> measured - I don't know exactly where any of the three reported
> temperatures comes from, and my luck is such that it could well be
> "innovatively" placed by the maker of my motherboard ;)

On my MB, unless an Athlon has a sensor built into the chip, the CPU
temperature is measured by a sensor in the big square hole in the
middle of the CPU socket. It sort of flops about on the end of a short
piece of that metallised-plastic ribbon cable such as is used to make
connections to moving print heads, scanner heads etc. I think the
cable is supposed to act as a spring to press the sensor against the
underside of the CPU. I very much doubt that it works. I have seen
several secondhand MBs with a similar arrangement; there is never any
trace of thermal transfer compound having been applied to the sensor
to try and give it a better chance of making some sort of thermal
contact. So I suspect that most people's CPU temp readings are well
under.

Me, I run with the sides off the case and if I want an estimate of the
CPU temp I stick my hand in and feel the heatsink.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons