Re: howto listening to Audio CD after enabling ide-scsi

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 16:14, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 06:48 am, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Hi there:
> >
> > On my ThinkPad A31 which has a mix of sarge/sid installed on it, I
> > have enabled ide-scsi emulation, since I have a combo (DVDROM CDRW)
> > drive. To enable ide-scsi I have added
> >
> > alias scd2 srmod
> > alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> > options ide-cd ignore=hdc
> >
> > through the use of /etc/modutils/actions to /etc/modules.conf and
> > added append="hdc=ide-scsi" to /etc/lilo.conf
> >
> > And yes, I can burn CDs with no problem.
> >
> > But now I can't listen to Audio CDs. My CD drive (as you have
> > guessed) is now /dev/scd2 but when I issue the comman 'cdplay
> > /dev/scd2' cdplay gives the 'nodisc' message to me. Same with kscd.
> > These are Audio CDs which I listen to them in Mandrake, and with my
> > CD player.
> >
> > Am I missing anything here ?
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > /* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt
> > them. Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and
> > roast their stomach in hell. Our estimates show that all slashodot
> > viewers will die. --Mohammad Al-Sahhaf SCO Sopkesman, Former Iraqi
> > information minister*/
> >
> > Aryan Ameri
>
> make a sym link from /cdrom to /dev/hdc
>
> you should have no problems after that....
> also download hdparm and hwtools and

I once installed hdparm, and while I haven't done anything with it,
rebooted my system. After that, I couldn't boot into Debian anymore, I
had to boot Knoppix, chroot and then remove hdparm from there. I again
rebooted and debian came up with no problem. I mean I didn't do
anything whith hdparm, I just installed it, rebooted (straight after
installing it) and couldn't boot into my system anymore. Strange I
guess.

> set up 32 bit i/o and DMA for your hard drive and optical drive.

I don't underestand what this means. Can anyone explain what is a 32 bit
i/o and DMA and what is the advantage of setting u such a thing?

Cheers