Re: Installing Debian from Red Hat (without a CD or floppy drive)

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:09:56PM -0700, Steve Grabowsku wrote:
> I have a machine that I want to install Debian on, as well as other
> Linux/BSD systems.  I have no floppy or CD drive.  I have no other
> x86 machines.  I do not have Windows.
>
> Using the network, I am able to install Red Hat 9 on it.  I want to use
> this to install and boot from the other OSes.
>
> I have the suspicion that with the use of GRUB and/or LILO, I can
> configure things the way I want, but I am not entirely sure of this.
> I'd install the Debian kernel somewhere, maybe download some crucial
> packages to some mount, and boot into the minimal Debian and then use some
> neet packaging system to get the rest.  But I'm not sure of the details.
> Could someone point out where I should go to find them?
>
> And, just so I'm starting things out properly, how should I have the
> Red Hat install program format my disk?

What I did was untarring debootstrap into my running system and pointing
it to an empty partition. In your case, I'd recommend installing a
minimal RH on a partition which you can later use as swap, and leaving
the remainder of the disk for Debian.

HTH,
Nick

--
|                I maintain a Zero-Tolerance policy for                |