Re: APT stopped working - MMap ran out of room

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:53:02AM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Monday 26 May 2003 09:26, Hamid wrote:
> > I just added a new line to source.list in /etc/apt and then entered
> > # apt-get update
> >
> > And now I have a nasty message:
> > ----------------------------
> > Reading Package Lists... Error!
> > E: Dynamic MMap ran out of  room
> > E: Error occured while processing trophy (NewVersion1)
> > E: Problem wiith MergeList
> > /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened
> > ------------------------------
> > As far as the mentioned file is concerned, I have it in that folder
> > with almost a size of 8 MB
>
> This error keeps coming up, and it strikes me that perhaps the default
> size of the MMap needs to be changed.

It has been, in apt 0.5.5. (The problem still exists but has been pushed
further away.)

> Either this is due to the increase in number of packages, or the
> increasing use of unofficial .deb sites such as those to get XFree 4.3
> and KDE 3 for woody.

Also the (I think ill-advised) practice of listing all of stable,
testing, and unstable in one's sources.list file.

> Either way as the sole purpose in life of apt-get is to make life easy
> for everyone maintaining Debian systems, it is currently failing in
> that everyone (or at least a large number of people) need to make this
> configuration change.  Surely it should normally not be necessary to
> adjust a configuration item (at least one of this nature) to cope with
> normal useage?

I fully agree, although since I've never run into this error even while
using a number of unofficial repositories I'm not entirely sure that
it's normal usage. But anyway ... yes, I agree that it's extremely
sloppy that this arbitrary limit exists.