CUPS aith problem

i am having the problem where the CUPS web interface refuses to
autheticate me as root or any other user when i go to the add a
printer section or any other section for all that matter.
i have tried reloading all the CUPS components and config files twice
and when i check the logs they give me nothing useful.
i looked on the mailing lists archive and i found a bug report about
cupsys not autheticating against pam that was opened late april 03 but
says it was closed do to someone repairing the problem.
Was this fix not submitted to `woody'?
If not what can i do to fix this problem?

--
 .''`.     Jonny D. Narya
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user

FFD[Chesire]m3adrw A- C- D H- M+++ P R++ T+++ W- Z Sm++ RLCT a21 cblm++++$ d+ e+ f++++ h+ iwf+++$ j+ p sm--