Re: An unsubscription FAQ / Rand / informational post

on Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:56:40PM +0100, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:38:48PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > As for HellSurfer, I've forwarded the issue to debian-leader, and it
> > appears there are *no* subscribers from his email domain, which may
> > indicate the source of the problem.
>
> He was subscribed as of a day or two ago. He has since been
> unsubscribed. You're debugging after the fix here. :-)

Fair enough.  I'm only working with half a clue here, as usual ;-)

OTOH, he's apparently claiming to still be receiving list mail.

> >   - If you're still receiving list mail, escalate with a mail to
> >     leader@debian.org.  This will reach the current Debian Leader.
>
> Has Martin agreed that this is a sensible thing to do? Not to
> second-guess him, but I'm not sure I'd recommend bouncing every little
> complaint up to the DPL as a good approach ... I suppose it works but
> it's a bit nuclear.

Well, *I've* had trouble reaching listmaster myself on occasion.  I
realize that armtwisting in a volunteer organization is difficult, but
at the very least we can make sure that the leadership is aware that
there is a problem, and apply pressure, coercion, or replacement, to the
listmaster role.

> >   - Behave professionally.  The importance of this cannot be overstated.
> >     At the very least, expect to find yourself permanently banned from
> >     the list you're abusive to, if not others.  Past episodes of abusive
> >     or outrageous behavior have resulted in censure by ISP, loss of ISP
> >     accounts, loss of jobs, academic discipline (in the case of
> >     university accounts), etc.  One notorious example includes a
> >     Psychology PhD. formerly engaged in research at Princeton
> >     University.  His outburst resulted in email notifications to the
> >     Princeton's IT staff, his boss, the University President, and former
> >     colleagues.
>
> Ah, memories ...

No comment ;-)

Peace.

    First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
    wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
    up, because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I
    didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945