Quake 3 server behind a iptables firewall

Is it possible to run a Quake 3 linux server on an average dsl-line,
using an iptables firewall (shorewall) to shield the local boxes
from the internet?

My setup:
- Alcatel Speedtouch modem/router that forwards everything to my
  firewall. (I am lead to believe this is the case: I have enabled
  use default host for incoming traffic)

- Debian box running shorewall, connected to the Speedtouch and:

- a bunch of local boxes, one of which I'd like to use as the Q3
  server

All my local systems are in the same zone. For brief periods I open
up some ports to enable outside access to httpd on one of my local
boxes or to enable X forwarding. This works. I was hoping that
running a Q3-server would not be very much more difficult. I have
openend a range of udp ports from 27960 onwards. All locally
originating traffic is allowed. I can connect to Q3-servers on "the
internet" and I can connect to my locally running Q3-server.

When outside Q3-clients try to connect, I see firewall messages,
that look a lot like the one in a [1]FAQ-entry. I am not able
to use this information to solve my problem.

It mentions a broken implementation wrt NAT en IMCP. I am not sure
which implementation is broken. Is it the Q3-server, the Q3-clients,
my firewall, my modem/router....??

I hope someone is able to give some hints how to get this solved. I
have a feeling that my firewall settings are correct, but if
something special is required to enable forwarding and allowing
Quake 3 connections, I'd like to hear it.

[1]
http://www.shorewall.net/FAQ.htm#faq21