Re: Broadcom 5700 NIC on debian stable (woody)?

Thus spake Steinar Bang:
> Does anyone have experience with using NICs based on the Broadcom 5700
> chip on debian stable?
>
> I've googled for "broadcom 5700 debian", and have found references to
> a driver called "tg3", which seems to be standard in RedHat's 4.1.18
> kernels.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to be part of the kernel-image-2.4.18-686
> kernel.  Therefore I'm guessing it's not part of the upstream 2.4.18
> sources, and the RedHat kernel driver is a backport from 2.5.  Does
> anyone know if this guess is correct?  Does anyone know if it's
> planned to be backported into debian 2.4 kernels?

Try a 2.4.20 kernel, the tg3 driver is included in it, as far as I know.
Alternatively, you could get the bcm5700 driver (the 'official' driver)
from your vendor (i.e., search the downloads sections on the
Dell/Compaq^WHP sites).

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Truth is not exciting enough to those who depend on the characters and
lives of their neighbors for all their amusement. - George Bancroft