Re: Any way to increase xwindows resolution like xconfigurator or is there a debian way?

This is a knoppix hard disk install,
but I get into dpkg-reconfigure and
it asks questions.

                 [!] Configuring Xserver-xfree86
The X server is the hardward interface of the X Window System. Its job is to communicate with video display and input devices, providing a foundation for the chosen Graphical User Interface (GUI).

Several X servers may be available; the default is selected via the /etc/X11/X symbolic link. Some X servers may not work with your particular graphics hardware.

Select the desired default X server.

xserver-xfree86

I select xserver-xfree86 since I have Kaser S305-32A and I don't see sis305 chipset
in list.

[!] Configuring Xserver-xfree86 The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, which contains the configuration information for the XFree86 version 4 X server, can be handled automatically by debconf, or manually by you. Note that only specific, marked sections of the configuration file will be handled by debconf if you select this option; if those markers are absent, the configuration file will not be updated automatically, and you will have to update the file manually, or move or delete the file. Manage XFree86 4.x server configuration file with debconf?
                                  <Yes>                                       <No>

I feel lucky, so I go with Yes.

I've tried several different paths thru the menus in
hopes of getting past the below,
but I always get the following error:
(as a side note, Conrad and Roberto suggested rebooting
with knoppix CD and cheat codes, then saving the Knoppix
generated /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to hard disk, which I am
about to try.)  Thanks to all.

root@a1700xp:/var/log# !!
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
dexconf: cannot generate configuration file;
xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/rules not set.  Aborting.
Reconfigure the X server with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to correct
this problem.
Unable to write X server configuration file.

root@a1700xp:/var/log# !!