Re: DVD player and copying to Hard drive ...

On Sunday 25 May 2003 03:37 pm, Dave Selby wrote:
> I am getting some DVDs and keen to try playing them on the PC
>
> I believe there are two majour DVD players, one is, xine  but I do not know
> the name of the other, can anyone fill me in ?
>
> Secondly how do I copy a DVD to my hard drive ? Since it has no OS it will
> not mount ... would I use
> dd if=/dec/cdrom of=/home/web/<movie title>
> Or is it more complex ... I suspect it is .. !
>
> Dave

use Xine from unstable...I use it and have used Ogle and VLC...Xine plays near
flawless with almost no droped frames or sound (as long as you have the CK
kernel patch + the O(1) interactive schedules and rmap vm applyed and
installed in a new kernel...and make sure you have DMA enabled on the DVD
drive...hdparm and the hwtools script will help there.

also make sure you set up a sym link called /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc

that should set you up nicely.

have fun,

Jeremy