Re: Open Sound System Driver error

--- Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> [030520
> 09:45]:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply Nick!
> > Unfortunately, the laptop currently has an
> > 2.2.20-idepci version kernel (as the uname -r told
> me
> > :-) )
> >
> > Does this mean I will have to upgrade (as Tim said
> in
> > another mail, the alsa-modules only contain
> > alsa-modules-2.4.16-* and alsa-modules-2.4.20-* )
> > I currently only did an installation using the
> first
> > Debian cd, and an add-cdrom on the second one (the
> > others still have to be burned) but no kernel
> image is
> > in there so far.
>
> Other option may be to "apt-get install alsa-source"
> and build the
> alsa modules against your current kernel. However
> you will probably
> need the kernel-headers-2.2.20-idepci package to do
> this.
>
> Personally I would just upgrade to a 2.4.20 kernel.
> YMMV.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick.
>
> --
> Debian testing/unstable
> Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c7 #1 Thu May 15
> 18:07:35 JST 2003

Hello,

Thanks for you're input...
This reply is a bit late, but I tried to get an iomega
working before... unfortunately, that's a nightmare
because I need a new kernel for that, and my custom
kernel is wrong each time with a weird kernel panic I
personally really don't understand :-(
Anyway, the alsa-source isn't an option as it needs a
custom kernel too, and the 2.4.20 kernel isn't in one
of the 6 debian cds I've got; I sure hope it's in the
last one, otherwise I really don't know how to get
that sound working.. The laptop is not connected to
the internet so what could I do ???

If you've got any options I've overlooked please tell
me !!

thanks,

Joris