Re: trouble linking to old library calls

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:18:39PM -0400, James D. Freels wrote:
> I recently purchased the Intel FORTRAN compiler v7.1 for Linux (ifc).  We have
> some production code that requires this compiler in order to run efficiently
> on Intel machines using Linux.
>
> We have installed this compiler on a Debian/Sid machine and intend to run code
> there as well as create statically-linked executables that we can run on
> other Intel boxes.  We recently discovered that in order to create statically
> linked executables via the "-static" compiler switch, the compiler will need
> versions 2.2.5 or 2.2.93 of libc6.
>
> Since both Sid and Sarge use 2.3.1 of libc6, this presents a problem.  We have
> available from the oldlibs packages v5.4.46-12 of libc5, but no older version
> of libc6 except in Woody which does have 2.2.5 of libc6.

Heh, I don't think it's possible to include two versions of libc6 like
that...Maybe using LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD or so?  Try the ld.so
manpage.

> One option is to link to a library off of a Woody machine.  Can this be done
> with nfs ?

Sure...

> Are there other options out there ?

If it was me, I'd just create a woody chroot and use that for all my
linking needs: http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html.  Pretty
simple to do, and it'll let you run everything on the same machine.  Or,
if you're creating Debian packages of your software (not necessarily for
re-distribution, of course ;), you could use 'pbuilder', which greatly
simplifies this process.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?