Re: problem with AOL addresses - Cablevision Optimum Online

On 03-05-24 18:42 -0400, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> hi there!
>
> i followed the exim example and got it working for email detined to
> aol.com and cs.com. i use cablevision's "optimum online" cable as my
> isp, and am somewhat afraid of relaying smtp thru them. i'm sure they do
> not mind using their smtp servers, but my exim has been pointing strait
> to the internet for quite some time.
> i am also running apache. cablevision's service agreement actually
> states you must run either windows or mac_os. is anyone here using
> optonline's mail server to relay? i'm worried this may cause some
> problems if they find i have a web/ssh server running...

Hi Jason,

I don't in fact have any experience with opt online, but I wouldn't
worry about it. The web/ssh traffic has always been going through their
routers & I'm pretty sure you couldn't get around that if you tried.
Beginning to occasionally make use of their smtp server isn't a big deal
because that's what it's there for &, like you say, of course they won't
mind. It seems like a pretty standard cable service contract, the OS
restrictions are just there so they don't have to provide support for
others: really they don't care. I believe running any kind of server
breaks my roadrunner contract too, but they'd be stupid to turn people
away for that because right now there's just too much competition
providing comparable service for a comparable price

Maybe if you start using enough bandwidth to warrant (in their eyes)
paying business rate, or start attracting the attention of the RIAA,
maybe they'll come down on you then

Kenneth