XFree86 hangs - kb, mouse does not respond

Hi Everything,

got a problem on the debian box at home... for some reason, after I
changed the keyboard (spoilt), added a sound card (SB Live), everytime I type
"startx", X windows loads up (so does KDE 3.1.2) and then it stops
responding....

I know the sound card is installed properly as I did a modconf and
added the emu10k1 module and it reports a successful installation...
keyboard works fine in bash and I noticed when X loads up, the num
lock/cap lock keys refuse to flash any more... I have already observed
that the ALSA driver for some reason isn't installed and I'm also
looking into it but I'm not too sure whether it is related to this
problem...

anyone got any points for this almost 2 month old debian newbie on how
to rectify this situation? so far been looking into this problem for
about a week already and I'm really stumped!

Thanks for any advise!

--
Best regards,
 Derek                          mailto:sdchew@ieee.org