Re: konsole font

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:52:41PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Saturday 24 May 2003 01:36, Soren Andersen wrote:
> > On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:17:38AM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> > > I Installed the KDE 3.1.1 packages from unstable. Now, I have the problem
> > > that I cannot make konsole use any useable font.

> > Are you running the X font server, xfs?

> No, I don't. And I don't run it on another box either, which is working fine
> with a self-built KDE (3.1rc6)... I think I could run konsole with Wingdings
> there...

Well, there goes a hypothesis that it has anything to do with xfs.

I found something via Google'ing that suggested that some piece of KDE
cannot handle compressed .pcf.gz files, and that to recover proper fonts
for use in terminals one had to ungzip the .pcf files and re-run
'mkfontdir'. I tried that and it didn't make a difference.

As I understand it our bitmapped screen fonts are the ones we want for
Konsole; and that on modern Linux those fonts are found in the format
*.pcf (instead of *.bdf or various other formats of the past). And if I
understood correctly we should be seeing a font named "fixed" in a font
selector dialogue, but aren't.

Still a mystery.

--
See my OpenPGP key at https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050
GnuPG public key fingerprint  | "Only when efforts to reform society have as